NEWS:

Honda varadero xl 1000 service costs

A discussion forum for any odd items. Should be biking related. If not, use the "non=-biking" forum.

Moderator: Red V Four

Honda varadero xl 1000 service costs

Postby sirhujardon » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:15 pm

am i being ripped off? anyone know the hrs that shud be charged for a 60000 service?? is 7 hrs raping me from a main dealer. total bill 579.97....ouch
sirhujardon

Re: Honda varadero xl 1000 service costs

Postby Red V Four » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:27 pm

Sounds an awful lot! :shock: But it would help if you said what they've actually charged you for. If all they did was a basic service, and not many new parts were required, then yes, it is quite a bill!
Red V Four
Throttle wide open

Postby sirhujardon » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:34 pm

Red V Four wrote:Sounds an awful lot! :shock: But it would help if you said what they've actually charged you for. If all they did was a basic service, and not many new parts were required, then yes, it is quite a bill!

7hrs for the basic service plus vat. how can i find out what honda estimate the hrs for this service shud be?? any idea fella??
sirhujardon

Postby sirhujardon » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:35 pm

7hrs for the basic service plus vat. how can i find out what honda estimate the hrs for this service shud be?? any idea fella??
sirhujardon

Postby Red V Four » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:07 am

I think you'd be better off either DIY or see if a non-Honda dealer will do it cheaper?
Red V Four
Throttle wide open

Postby Barry » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:00 am

At 60,000 miles the Varadero would probably benefit for rather more than just a basic service if the machine is going to keep its reliability.

Best to take the bike off the road for a couple of weeks and give it a good going over. It can all be done with just the tool kit and perhaps a set of sockets together with a Haynes manual.

Remove the tank – turn off both petrol taps.
Remake all the wiring connections and plugs, using electrical grease.
Remove wheels, replace wheel bearings.
Check the steering head bearing.
Fit a new petrol pump – check the Varadero International Forum for the best pump – not a Honda one!
Replace metal fuel filter.
Check all water hoses and their fasteners. Replace coolant
Check brake hoses. Remove callipers and clean them up. Ensure the slave hydraulic cylinder on the nearside calliper arm moves freely and is properly adjusted. Check the brake pads. Replace hydraulic fluid.
Oil all control cables ensure they are properly adjusted,
Balance the carbs.
Replace the spark plugs
Replace air and oil filters, change oil.

This can all be done for a couple of hundred pound plus a bit of time.

Adjusting the tappets is the only thing that is a little tricky. If the plugs are a good colour and the bike is running OK, I would be inclined to give this a miss – or keep the bike off the road for another week, in case you need to order shims.

If the bike has been subject to rolling servicing regime, many of these thing will have probably already been done. Many of the items are not covered by the Honda service which really is only and engine service.

Electrical connetions and fuel pump are know issues with the Varadero.

Check out

http://varaderoforumcom.h826747.serverk ... /index.php

http://www.honda-varadero-uk.org/forum/ ... tion=forum
Barry
Knees down time

Postby Dibble » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:40 am

Why change fuel pump if it is working OK?
Why replace wheel bearings if running soundly?

Agree most of this is straight forward and certainly not 7 hours worth to a competant mechanic with tools.

Get your mechanic to detail what exactly they did for the money and get estimate from alternative garage. You may then be able to argue as to any overcharging.
Dibble

Postby jallen » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:10 am

As others have said you don't state what was done and which parts were replaced. The Valve clearances check/adjust and service took about 7 hours on my Fireblade. That said the independent mechanic I used didn't charge anything like what you were charged.

John
VFR1200FD
jallen
Knees down time

Postby Barry » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:55 pm

Dibble wrote:Why change fuel pump if it is working OK?
Why replace wheel bearings if running soundly?

Preventive maintenance.

These items have a service life but are not subject to servicing. The fuel pump is know to be of poorish quality, those running their bikes to much over 40,000 miles usually replace it with a car item - better and cheaper than the Honda pump.
If the bike has been used off road at all, the wheel bearing will have taken a hammering and when they 'go' they do so quickly. They are cheap and fairly easy to replace in the comfort of a garage, but can ruin a whole day - or more - if they 'go' on the road.
Barry
Knees down time

Postby Dibble » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:21 pm

Has anyone told Honda about faulty pumps? I have had Hondas where pumps last well over your stated mileage so it suggests a faulty individual pump rather than generalised failure you suggest.

Likewise wheel bearings.
Dibble

Postby Barry » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:27 pm

Dibble wrote:Has anyone told Honda about faulty pumps? .

Read the various Varadero, African Twin Forums - they are full of fuel pump problems and hints and tips on replacing them.
The main problem is that they are solenoid pumps and the points burn out and/or wear prematurely at an angle. A Honda replacement costs £140.00 a much better designed rotary surface pump cost some £45.00.

The points on the pump on my first Varadero were worn out at some 40,000 miles.

There is someone from Slovakia, on the Varadero International Forum, offering replacement points - something Honda do not do!
Barry
Knees down time

Postby Dibble » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:40 am

Dont really want to read Varadero forums as the last time I did tht we deleted the branch as they spent most of their time slagging off the HOC.

The question I asked was did anyone tell Honda which is relevant as they cannot and will not change something if they do not get the complaints and details of the problem.
Dibble

Postby Barry » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:05 am

The fuel pump on the AT has been a long running battle. Honda, according to various reports on the various forums has been advised a number of times over the years. When they fitted the same pump to the Varadero, the complaints to Honda started all over again.

A pump with perfectly aligned points will last some 50,000 miles and I suspect that Honda think that is reasonable. The problem is mostly caused by pumps with poorly aligned points. Because they are poorly aligned there is excessive sparking across the contact and this wears them down at an angle until the fail, often between 20/30000 miles.

Re the Varadero Forum. From what I remember one member in particular - he was also the forum owner - was fed up with the HOC and expressed himself as such. A couple of other members joined in with their tales of woe, but the majority of members of the HOC who were on the forum had nothing to say at all. The forum ownership has since changed hands.

There are still members of the HOC on the forum, perhaps they are waiting for a bit of encouragement from the HOC to get the Branch going again?
Barry
Knees down time

Postby Taz » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:04 am

Hi sirhujardon

Where in the country are you? I have a local mechanic that services bikes for racing teams, he's been working on and building bikes for 30 odd years and charges £35:00 an hour labour. My last Varadero service cost me £125:00

When I bought my Ninja, it was a non runner having sat for 7 years in a garage. he stripped the carb down and cleaned it, serviced it, MOT'ed it, put a new front tyre on, total bill £300, not bad considering the front tyre was £100! The bike is running like a dream now.

His name is Steve at S L R Bikes and is based just outside Maidenhead in Berkshire.

Tel: 01628 510011
1998 Lockheed Blackbird (ok, so it's an 1100XX but near enough)
2004 Varadero 1000

Reading Branch Member
http://www.reading.hoc.org.uk
HOC No: 31028
Taz
Knees down time

Postby Dibble » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:02 pm

TAZ

Is he on our Golden Wing and website lists? Sounds like he ought to be.
Dibble

Next

Return to General discussions